Note Well:

N.B.
--If you want to automatically know when I update the blog, the just follow the blog by clicking on the "Follow" button in the right column.
--To see full resolution photos, click on them.
--Comments also make me feel loved :-). Thank you all for reading.

Friday, August 27, 2010

Craziness

What a crazy first day!  I arrived in Spain today, Friday, at 8:15am (+1) after leaving Boston at 2:30pm (-5).  I only got a little over four hours sleep, but still had enough adrenaline to hit the ground running.  Once I arrived in Spain, I took the Metro to my hostel.  One interesting thing I learned is that the doors on most of the Metro trains don't open unless you push a button or pull a latch; this was tons of fun with three gigantic bags.  I have a feeling like a lot of people here are thinking, "Silly tourist.  Why do you bring so much for a simple vacation?  Do you think there is nothing you can do in our country without bringing all your belonging?"  I want to apologize for my awkward baggage and tell everyone that I really do need everything I own because I'm moving here, but I know it's just paranoia, and no one really cares.

After I got to the Metro station near my hostel, I misunderstood Madrid's definition of a "street" and ended up getting rather lost trying to find my hostel.  Once I found it though I was very pleased with it.  The manager is really nice and speaks perfect English.  She let me store my bags and take a shower, but the room wouldn't be ready until 2:00pm.  That was alright with me though because I had planned on going to work anyways.  After the shower I hopped back on the Metro, this time with only a backpack, and made my way to IMDEA Materials.

The office I'll be working in for the next year is SO amazing (We're moving to a gigantic building next summer that looks really cool).  It's really nice looking and comfortable, and all the people there are super sweet and helpful.  My advisor seems remarkably chill and helpful, and all my coworkers are extremely excited to help me get settled in Spain, and feel included in the group.  They invited me to lunch, but I couldn't go because my system felt so messed up.  My advisor and the office guru, Ines, were very keen to help me start to get settled immediately.  My advisor introduced me to everyone and began to discuss details about the project, as well as suggest a mobile provider.  However, he suggested I not get started on thinking about the project until I get more settled.

Ines was absolutely amazing.  She began by trying to get me a bank account and managed to get me one today, which is unheard of.  It typically takes a week to get a back account, especially when you don't have an NIE number.  She also thought that this would allow me to get a mobile plan, but as it turns out I need the NIE number for that if I don't have an EU passport.  She also helped me find apartments by first explaining the lifestyle of all the various burrows of Madrid, and helping me decide where I would fit best.  After finding some potential places in my price-range, she was even able to get me an appointment with a superintendent tonight.  I was beyond amazed at how quickly everything is progressing.  By Monday we'll be ordering my laptop and getting me accounts on the servers.  It's all very exciting.

At about 4pm I left the office and headed over to my apartment viewing.  I first stopped by a big mall to find an Orange store to try and set up a mobile account.  This is where I learned that I need an NIE number to get a plan.  This is very sad because after a year with the iPhone I can't live without constant data access, and I won't have my NIE until September 1, at the earliest :-(.  O well.  It'll be good for me, I'm sure.

I then went to see the apartment, see pictures, and thought it was a pretty nice place.  Though the bedroom and kitchen are kinda small, the living room is gigantic, so I have a feeling Sanel and I will survive.  Also, this one-bedroom apartment is in a great area, 10 minute T ride to my work.  It's within a five minute walk of the T, a pharmacy, a HUGE mall with most of Sanel's favorite stores, and is about 1 minute walk from a beautiful park.  If something else doesn't have a ton more space, I'll prolly have to grab this.  I also asked to see a two-bedroom place, but it wasn't nearly as nice.


After that I came back to the hostel, grabbed some food near by and then settled in for the night.  It's been a busy day, and I can't wait for tomorrow, when I'll be more awake, to really explore the city's touristy attractions before the novelty wears off.  Good night friends.  Please forward this to everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Steve! This is all so exciting. I can't believe how quickly everything is falling into place; a good omen for sure. Can't wait for more posts!
    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve!!! Your blog is WONDERFUL! It is so exciting to read about your new adventure. You must be thrilled that everything has gone so smoothly. I'm looking forward to reading more! Thank you for sharing.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like things are going well so far. I love the small efficient apartment.

    Sounds like the people there are much nicer than those here in MA.

    ReplyDelete